Environmental noise is comprised of all exterior noise sources including, but not limited to, road and rail traffic, air transportation, commercial and industrial facilities, construction and recreational activities. In recent decades, factors such as population growth, dependence on vehicular transportation, and urban expansion has culminated in environmental noise as a worldwide problem. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency estimated that nearly 50% of the United States population has annual exposures to traffic noise that were high enough to be harmful to health. Continuous environmental noise can cause a variety of adverse health effects, including sleep disturbance, annoyance, noise-induced hearing loss and heart disease. Fortunately, noise mitigation methods can be employed for environmental noise sources. Whether the objective is to satisfy applicable City, State or Federal noise regulations (such as HUD), develop an Environmental Impact Report Study, or create quiet, serene outdoor/indoor surroundings, Associates in Acoustics, Inc. has the experience, resources and technical knowledge to realize a project’s acoustical goals.
Associates in Associates, Inc. can provide the following services:
- Documentation of Existing Noise Environment by capturing noise levels and audio recordings at strategic locations throughout the project site. This data can be used for development of project specific noise criterion, code compliance surveys and noise impact analysis.
- Acoustic Modeling of the Project using the most sophisticated environmental noise calculation and mapping software available. Whether the client is the source or recipient of environmental noise, this service offers an objective and accurate method of assessing noise impact.
- Development of Noise Mitigation Methods that satisfy the project’s noise criteria. Mitigation methods such as enclosures, barriers, and source-specific treatment can be evaluated quickly and accurately using acoustic modeling software.
- Graphical Presentation of Computer Generated Noise Contours. Noise contours can be developed for the project and surrounding vicinity, if needed, as a visual representation of a particular environmental noise condition.
- Audio Demonstrations of various noise mitigation and sound masking scenarios at chosen locations throughout the project site.